Maintaining Nurtitional Balance On A Plant - Based Diet
Are you vegan or vegetarian, or looking to make a diet move to plant-based but unsure how to ensure you maintain nutritional balance? Perhaps you have moved to a plant based diet but are not sure if you are getting a balanced diet, or how to achieve that. Or, maybe you are simply curious about moving to a more plant-based diet but want to know how to maintain nutritional balance.
If any of these resonate then this talk is for you. The lovely and passionate Kerry Hillermann, registered dietitian, will be taking us through the details of maintaining nutritional balance on a plant based diet, answer questions you might have and get insights.
WHAT THIS TALK COVERS
- The real definition of veganism and vegetarian and the varying forms.
- Why the sudden movement/interest: health benefits/claims, current impact on animals and the environment
- Dangers to be aware of if not following a vegan or vegetarian diet appropriately (nutrient deficiencies, a potential to increase intake of convenience processed foods regularly, not meeting energy requirements etc…)
- Meeting protein requirements on a vegan and vegetarian diet respectively
- Maintaining strong bones
- Protecting against anaemia (iron and vitamin B12)
- The importance of healthy fats, their individual nutrient/health benefits as well as suitable sources of omega 3
- Ensuring adequate intake and absorption of essential minerals
- How to go about planning a well-balanced vegan/vegetarian diet
- Examples of well-balanced meals and snacks for a vegan/vegetarian diet
- Example of appropriate energy intake with corresponding menu for teenagers and adults, generally.
- How to overcome challenges and barriers to vegan and vegetarian way of living
WHO IS KERRY HILLERMANN?
Kerry Hillermann is a registered dietitian with over 10 years of experience in the field of dietetics and nutrition. She is a member of the Health Professionals council of South Africa (HPCSA) as well as of the Association for dietetics in South Africa (ADSA), and stands by their motto: “If it is about nutrition, ask your dietitian”. Kerry’s special areas of interest: treating the emotional eater (e.g. binge eating, bulimia nervosa, anorexia nervosa); gut related concerns; chronic diseases of lifestyle (obesity, insulin resistance, high cholesterol, high blood pressure etc…) and nutrition during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
ABOUT THE VENUE
Founder Foods is a dedicated Whole Foods Store at 2 Village Road in Kloof. The store offers quality whole foods as direct from producers as possible, with most of their range on a pay by weight system, allowing you to scoop, pour and weigh as little or as much as you need. The range of foods includes a huge variety of ancient grains, dried beans and pulses, baking ingredients, nuts, dried fruits, oils and vinegars, herbs, spices and whole food snacks, as well as an array of pesticide and herbicide free fresh produce sourced from local community farmers in the area. They cater to a large range of dietary requirements, including vegans and vegetarians.
It is the aim of Founder Foods to make Whole Foods accessible to more people and facilitate exploration, inspiration and experimentation in cooking. The store really is an outstanding model of an innovative and modern shopping experience and well worth a visit. https://founderfoods.co.za/about-us/
Whole Foods is more than just food. It is the key to transforming our world.
|Refund policy||No refunds|