AWS Community Day Cape Town 2019
Inaugural AWS Community Day Cape Town, organised by the community, for the community. Come join us for a day of technical talks on how others in your community have built solutions on AWS.
08:00 - 09:00 - Registration, coffee & snacks
09:00 - 09:05 - Welcome & opening
09:05 - 10:00 - Taking a Deep Tech Startup Global on AWS
10:00 - 10:45 - Building a scalable payments platform using AWS Lambda
10:45 - 11:15 - Coffee Break with light snacks
11:15 - 12:10 - Why cloud?
12:10 - 13:00 - Terraforming From Scratch
13:00 - 14:00 - Lunch (Finger foods)
14:00 - 14:55 - Machine Leaning Engineering Principles and Tooling
14:55 - 15:50 - Implementing & Maintaining your infrastructure on AWS using Terraform
15:50 - 16:45 - Talk TBD
16:45 - 18:00 - Networking over drinks and light snacks
The talks and speakers are still being finalised, here are some that are confirmed already.
Speakers / Talks:
- Nate Mitchell (Lead DevOps Engineer at Hornet, Automation Enthusiast, Funny Third Thing) - "Terraforming From Scratch" : So what does infrastructure as code entail, exactly? Migrating existing ad-hoc infrastructure to Terraform.
- Veliswa Boya (AWS Cloud Specialist at Standard Bank) - "Why cloud?" : Why AWS cloud makes sense, how I became a Cloud Engineer and what I've learned on my AWS journey so far.
- Ross Purdon (DevOps'ing at Names&Faces) - "Implementing & Maintaining your infrastructure on AWS using Terraform" : "Maintaining infrastructure with Terraform while enabling company growth."
- Gert-Jan van Rooyen (CEO at Custos) - "Taking a Deep Tech Startup Global on AWS" : "Learn how Custos deployed globally to serve customers on 4 continents, scaling to 640 compute cores at peak using advanced blockchain and signal processing tech."
- Natu Lauchande (Principal Data Engineer at Jumo) - "Machine Leaning Engineering Principles and Tooling" : "A presentation around the details of implementing different stages of a Machine Learning pipeline and possible pitfalls and how we can leverage AWS/cloud-based tooling to mitigate and ensure successful operationalization. We will be looking at tools like MLFlow, Sagemaker, S3 and other approaches to addressing common pitfalls in ML operationalization projects."
- Tejas Mistry (Head of Product, Peach Payments) and Ewald van Rooyen (Senior Software Engineer, Peach Payments) - "Building a scalable payments platform using AWS Lambda" : "Learn how Peach Payments built a scalable platform using AWS Lambda".
Thank you to Peach Payments for sponsoring this event!