Business Against Corruption
Thu Jun 27, 08:00 - Thu Jun 27, 18:00
If submissions to the Zondo Commission would be believed, one would think that corruption is now more commonplace than ever. The Global Corruption Index has South Africa placed 73rd in the list of least corrupt countries. Have we reached the tip of the iceberg, or is there more to come? President Cyril Ramaphosa has made the fight against corruption a priority and his commitment to establish a directorate within the National Prosecuting Authority aimed at dealing with corruption is a step in the right direction. What can big business do to work in tandem with government in the fight against corruption?
On 27 June, Daily Maverick presents an event that will address the issues of fighting corruption and policy implementation for sustainable economic growth. “Business Against Corruption” will be a day for business leaders to discuss topics pivotal to corruption, ranging from fighting corruption at a government as well as private sector level, and the responsibility to create a safe space for whistleblowers, to name only a few.
Now, more than ever it is crucial for business to become more vocal and play a proactive role in fighting corruption at all levels. This event aims to help mobilise business to take a more proactive stance against corruption and to help build a stronger, more inclusive economy.
Speakers highlights include:
- Minister Pravin Gordhan, Public Enterprises
- Advocate Shamila Batohi, National Director of Public Prosecutions
- Minister Ayanda Dlodlo, Department of Public Service and Administration (Invited)
- Bonang Mohale, CEO, BLSA
- Dr Achieng Ojwang, Executive Director: UN Global Compact Network
- Advocate Andy Mothibi, Chief Executive and Head of the Special Investigations Unit
- David Lewis, Executive Director, Corruption Watch
- Peter Goss, Forensic Investigator
- Mabetha Cedrick Pila, Business Development Manager, 10X Investments