Fermentation Workshop - Celebrate Salt
FERMENTABLES // CELEBRATE SALT
WHAT TO EXPECT:
Years of fermenting almost everything to understand the fundamentals of lacto-fermentation, yeast fermentation, symbiotic fermentation and acetic fermentation. What even do all these terms mean? Fermentation is all about creating suitable environmental conditions and working with time, microbiota - fungi, yeasts and bacteria - to create and transform foods from fruits, vegetables, grains, meats, dairy, insects, seaweeds and others. A great lesson in humility and authenticity, our work in fermentation is always all about community, through a multi-species exploration.
In these 2-part workshops ("Celebrating SALT" and "Fermenting SWEET") facilitated by Zayaan Khan, we will focus on lacto-fermentation by Salt in "Celebrate SALT" focusing on shredded vegetables/fruit (like sauerkraut), layered ferments (such as kimchi) & whole brined ferments. We will discuss recipe potentials, the different reasons why we ferment and some fool proof methods.
Then, in "Fermenting SWEET" we explore wild beverages such as kompot, ginger bugs and sweet potato fly, condiments like ketchup, mustard and chutney and a beginners guide to shrubs!
PLEASE NOTE these are 2 separate workshops.
WHAT TO BRING:
- Any ferments you have worked on you wish to share/troubleshoot/improve on.
- Paper and pen
- Jars you have at home to ferment in, will provide some but more for just in case.
- Any produce you wish to explore that you may have surplus in/thats going sad in the fridge/pantry
WHAT WILL BE PROVIDED:
- Ferments of all sorts to test and taste
- Starters if you wish to use, but keep in mind the fermentation we will explore is wild styles.
- Some jars but depending on amount we ferment, you may wish to bring more (great opportunity for making gifts too)!
- Info booklet to take home which provides more in depth information as there is only so much we can cover in the time allocated.
- Fermented-theme lunch!
- Follow up email library for online resources to access and download.
There will be ferments available to purchase if you so wish!
WHAT WILL BE GAINED FROM THE WORKSHOP:
- Fermenty superpowers to support your current and future fermenting endeavors
- Exploring fermentation through synaesthetic experience allows for a more successful uptake to share and build upon
- Fermentation after care one-on-one if needed via WhatsApp/Telegram
- New understanding of flavour and taste profiles and potential recipes and pantry ethos
- Inspiration for new old ways of thinking and working with food
- Join the fermentation community within SA.
COST: R750 per person
VENUE: Veld and Sea cabin at the Good Hope Gardens Nursery in Cape Point
Please note this event will only take place if there are a minimum of 10 participants
Refund Policy: 10% Cancellation fee. Non refundable within 72 hours of event.