TEDxMahikeng 2019: Pathways
How do we find ourselves here?
Founded by Kgosi Molema Tawana, way back when rocks were soft, our patch of the world remains the beloved home of a proud people, Barolong boo Ratshidi.
Once misnamed Mafeking, we were reborn Mafikeng, and have reinvented as Mahikeng.
With each incarnation, we embraced a renewed sense of who we are. And, with that, new and exciting possibilities.
From our vantage point, we see kin all around: across the border in Botswana, on the platinum belt in Rustenburg, above the gold reef in Klerksdorp, over the rivers in Potchefstroom, amidst the maize fields in Ventersdop, and down the road in Taung, and Vryburg.
Together, our pasts are interwoven, and our futures intertwined.
We’ve followed long and winding roads, with myriad twists and turns.
Along the way, we have built, destroyed, and rebuilt.
Today, yet again, we stand at the crossroads, ready to take bold steps forward, and needing to find fresh, unbeaten paths.
Which way shall we go?
We are delighted to invite you to the first ever TEDxMahikeng conference — and the first such event in the entire North West Province — taking place on Friday 29 March 2019, at North West University, Mahikeng Campus.
Our speakers, all known for their pioneering, pathfinding work, will come from industry, government, academia and society.
We’re expecting leaders of corporations, important policymakers, researchers doing cutting-edge work, entrepreneurs building exciting businesses, and activists working to make life better for vulnerable communities.
In and amongst them will be artists and taste-makers working at the sharpest ends of their disciplines.
All shall share perspectives on the lay of the land, and shed light on the way forward.
- Botlhale Tshetlo – Entrepreneur, founder of Hairtural.
- Davis Cook – Innovation specialist, CEO of RIIS.
- Dhesigen Naidoo – CEO of the Water Research Commission.
- Donna Kukama – Inter-disciplinary artist, Wits University academic.
- Grace Masuku – Heritage practitioner and environmentalist.
- Kgafela oa Magogodi – Poet, spoken-word theatre director, Wits University academic.
- Motlapele Morule (aka Mo Molemi) – Farmer, hip-hop artist.
- Ntirelang Berman – Botswana's leading folk musician.
- Oshebeng Koonyaditse – Radio presenter, football commentator and analyst.
- Roche Mamabolo – Author, founder of Lora Centre for Innovation and Entrepreneurship.
- Vincent Moloi – Award-winning filmmaker, director of Tjovitjo, Skulls of My People.
- Malmsey Rangaka – Entrepreneur, cofounder of M’hudi Wines
- Portia Mmabatho Morudi – Apiarist
- Botlhale Tema – Scientist, author of Land of my Ancestors
- Ilan Godfrey