Think Camp - AppInventor | App Development for Mobile Devices | Grade 6 to Grade 9 | Friday, 11th January
We all use mobile apps but how many of us learn how to make them? AppInventor empowers participants to become creators in our Mobile World. We learn the basics of App development and programming through creating two simple, yet cleverly programmed Apps.
- Participants must have successfully completed Grade 6, 7, 8, or 9 in 2018.
- Participants need to be able to read and work at their academic grade level (Grade 6 – 9).
- Elementary coding exposure through Scratch or another platform is recommended but not required.
- General computer experience; working with a mouse and typing on a keyboard is required for this Camp.
- Gmail Accounts: Each participant needs to have access to a gmail account, this will ensure that they will have full access to all work done after the Camp. To register such an account, they will need a Gmail email address and password on the day. Signup can be done from www.gmail.com. We will not allow children under the age of 13 to sign up to a Gmail account at Think Camp as Gmail has special age requirements. We ask that parents organise this at home or send their children to Think Camp with a parent’s account details. Participants without an account will not be able to access their work after Think Camp.
All of our App development will be done on computers. Think Camp will provide Android smartphones to test out apps. If your son or daughter would like to test out their app on their own smartphone, they are welcome to bring this along with its own USB cable. Unfortunately, our software will only work with Android smartphones and therefore no Apple devices will work.
*Please note that while we do not anticipate any issues with this option, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to get apps working on all student brought devices!*
If you would like to bring your own Android Smartphone and USB cable, we ask that you please install the App Inventor Companion App which can be found by searching for “MIT AI2 Companion” on the Google Play Store or by following this link: MIT App Inventor 2.
What is Think Camp?
Think Camp teaches key 21st century skills in fun and energising full day camps during school holiday periods. On Think Camp, computer work is interspersed with frequent snack breaks (two per day), outdoor games (weather permitting) and exciting competitions. Powerful thinking skills such as Design and Lean Thinking are taught throughout, using carefully designed activities that compliment computer work and give participants the tools needed to master the world of tomorrow.
We understand parents’ busy lives, and so we offer you the option of flexible drop off and pick up times. Participants can be dropped off anytime between 7h30am and 8h00am and collected between 15h00 and 15h30.
What should we bring?
Busy minds get hungry! We ask participants to bring along their favourite brain food for snack and lunch breaks. All our venues have superb tech facilities and participants will be working on Windows PCs, so besides the option to bring their own Android phone there is no need to bring any other additional high-tech devices.
What happens at the end of the day?
The final discussion for the day along with certificate hand-out takes place between 15h00 and 15h10 - we invite all parents to be present for this. After certificate handout, between 15h10 and 15h30 parents are invited to come and see the incredible work done throughout the day.
Participants at this Think Camp will be working with MIT’s AppInventor which can be freely downloaded, they can therefore continue working on App development at home.
Think Camp can only offer refunds up to 14 days before the camp. Refunds will be done via EFT. To cover costs, all cancellations are subject to a fee of R50 per ticket cancelled.
Any cancellation that is requested within the 14 days prior to the camp, is subject to resale of the ticket. In this case, tickets will not be refunded, rather a ticket transfer credit will be issued.
|Refund policy||Refunds allowed (view policy)|