Whispers in the Corridors
Fri Oct 27, 09:00 - Tue Oct 31, 14:00
Constitutional Hill Women's Gaol
Whispers in the Corridors is an immersive museum theatre production staged inside the Constitutional Hill Women’s Gaol evoking the narratives of some of the women who were imprisoned there in the 20th Century. The play was written by Stephanie Jenkins during her 2022 Writing Fellowship through the Johannesburg Institute of Advanced Study (JIAS).
The performance uses three actor-guides, played by Clare Mortimer, Belinda Henwood and Sibahle Sibiya, who play multiple historical characters and take the audience on a journey through the former prison (now a museum), allowing present audiences to get a glimpse of the past, listening to the whispers evoked in this former place of confinement and punishment.
Audiences will encounter historical characters such as Mmagauta Molefe, Jeannie Noel, Hannchen Koornhoff, Vesta Smith, Barbara Hogan, Lillian Keagile, and various other historical political prisoners, warders and common-law prisoners. The interactive performance, explores the various women who were kept inside Constitutional Hill, allowing their stories to be retold in the former prison encouraging audience members to engage with and share in the histories that remain in the corridors.
- · Please ensure you book for the specific production of Whispers in the Corridor. General museum tickets will NOT allow you into the production. Tickets to the play will only allow entry into the Women’s Gaol for the performance and not other parts of the museum.
- · Secure parking is available in the basement parking of Constitutional Hill Museum.
- · The duration of the performance is about an 1 hour. There will also be time after the performance to look around the Gaol.
- · The play is not recommended for children under 12 years old as some of the accounts reference torture.
- The performance on 29 October at 2pm will photographed and filmed. By attending this performance, you consent to possibly being in the recording and/or pictures.
For more information: https://sjperformancebooki.wixsite.com/whispers-in-the-corr
Special thanks to the National Arts Council (NAC), Presidential Employment Stimulus Programme (PESP), and, Johannesburg Institute for Advanced Study (JIAS).