Agile Fundamentals (17-18 Aug 2023)
Thu Aug 17, 09:00 - Fri Aug 18, 17:00
Durbanville Hills Winery
Why would you attend this course?
You would like to understand what Agile is and what the day-to-day activities of an agile team look like – how work gets done in a Lean/Agile environment. You are keen to see how agility can benefit you, the work you are involved in and the people around you. You also want to understand how your own role changes, whether you are an executor, a business person or a manager.
This course developed alongside our coaching and thus is hands-on and practical. You will walk out equipped to start changing the way you work. You will get a chance to explore the philosophy of Agile and Lean, learn about frameworks like Scrum, complete a mini release and understand why this approach is such a fundamental departure from traditional ways of working, especially from a people perspective.
Who will find it useful?
- Anyone who forms part of an Agile team, leads an Agile team, interacts with an Agile team, whether from a business or technical perspective.
- Anybody who wants to understand how their future looks given that Agile has been around for 20+ years and is here to stay.
- Anybody who wants to understand how agility can benefit themselves, their team or their organisation.
What will you learn?
Agile as philosophy
- The Agile mindset, values and principles
- How Agile came about
- How Agile is different from traditional approaches
Collaboration and engagement
- How Agile teams are constructed and why it matters
- Creating collaborative teams
- The value of continuous improvement
- What it is and why customers and business people are an integral part of Agile teams
- How we handle risk in Agile
- How Agile frameworks like Scrum focus on Value-driven delivery
- Why we plan more in Agile and how it differs from traditional approaches
- Sizing and estimation in Agile
- Planning at different levels – product and project, release, iteration
- The elements of Scrum
- Kanban vs Agile
- Events / ceremonies
This workshop has no pre-requisites.
Centre for Agile Coaching is a Member Organisation with the International Consortium of Agile (ICAgile) and have accredited the Agile Fundamentals class with them. ICAgile offers knowledge and competency-based certifications in the diverse disciplines needed to sustain organisational agility. They provide three levels of certification aligned to the various learning tracks, i.e. professional, expert and master. Professional-level certifications are knowledge-based, while the Expert-level and Master-level certifications are competency- and innovation-based. The ICAgile Certified Professional (ICP) is an entry-level certification that signals intent to learn about agile and become a professional in the agile space. This certification is a pre-requisite to all other professional certifications through ICAgile.
Attendees of the Agile Fundamentals class are eligible for the ICAgile Certified Professional (ICP) certification. Should a student miss more than one hour of class time, they will not be eligible for certification. Qualifying attendees are registered with ICAgile for certification on completion of the class. Registration carries a cost of $75 (USD), which is included in the course fee.
Dates: 17 & 18 August 2023
Duration: Two full days (09:00 - 17:00 daily)
Method of delivery: In-person, facilitator led
Venue: Durbanville Hills Winery, Tygerberg Valley Road, Durbanville
Cost: R8814.75 (incl VAT) per person, excl costs
Costs include the following:-
- Course Manual and handouts
- Arrival snacks, lunch and beverages
- ICAgile certification (on successful completion)
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Substitutions are subject to approval due to the knowledge pre-requisites of some of our classes.
- As some of our classes involve pre-work, we only allow substitutions up to 3 working days before the start date of the class. No substitutions will be processed within 3 working days prior to the start date of a class.
- We understand that schedules change. Should you no longer be able to attend the class, you may transfer your registration to a colleague or friend, free of charge.
Cancellations, transfers and refunds
- Centre for Agile Coaching is not liable for any travel costs and therefore recommend that attendees contact us to confirm the status of an in-person class prior to making any travel or accommodation arrangements.
- Centre for Agile Coaching reserves the right to change the dates of any class and provide you with the opportunity to attend the new dates, or apply your registration fee to another class (held within a year), or request a refund.
- If, for any reason, Centre for Agile Coaching has to cancel a class, a full refund or a full credit to attend a future class will be given.
- No refunds will be issued for non-attendance, unless in the case of illness or unforeseen circumstances, where there will be a charge for direct costs incurred. These costs include, but are not limited to, venue, course material and courier fees.
- Transfers to another class are not allowed less than 7 calendar days before the class start date.
- If a cancellation request is made less than 7 calendar days before the class start date, no refunds will be issued.
- For transfers to another class, your paid tuition will be available for one year to be used as a credit towards another class.
- Cancellations for a full refund, or requests to transfer your attendance to a different class, will only be accepted up until 7 calendar days before the class start date.
Please contact us on [email protected] to request changes to your registration information in writing.
- We schedule a mandatory ‘Tool Check’ in the week prior to a virtual class to guide you in successfully accessing and navigating the various platforms we use during training. Access to a class may be prohibited if you fail to attend this session.
- If you registered for a virtual class, please ensure you have access to a computer with an up-to-date web browser, camera and sound (headset with microphone recommended) and a stable internet connection.
- A 'Welcome' email, containing the class information, will be sent to all registered attendees in the week prior to the start date. This will include pre-work you may need to complete before the class start date.
- Most of our courses have prerequisites. Please familiarise yourself with them to ensure you are suitably qualified to attend a class. Refunds will not be made if you cannot complete the course, or if the course leader feels you cannot stay on due to not achieving the required prerequisites.
- A welcome email with the relevant class details (class and technology information, in the event of a virtual class) will be sent to all attendees in the week leading up to the class. Please ensure that we have your correct contact details to ensure this important communication reaches you.
- Bookings will only be confirmed once payment has cleared in our account.
PRIVACY OF INFORMATION
Protection of Personal Information (PI)
At Centre for Agile Coaching we value and respect the privacy of our clients' information. We do not share PI with any third parties without prior consent from clients. Below please find more information regarding the information we collect and the context within which the information is used.
What services do we provide?
Centre for Agile Coaching runs courses & workshops and offers individual and team coaching services to organisations and individuals.
What Personal Information do we collect?
In order for Centre for Agile Coaching to provide its services, we collect the following personal information from clients:-
- First Name
- Contact number (optional)
- Email address
- Closest PostNet (for mailing of course material - virtual classes only)
- Residential Address (for mailing of course material - virtual classes only)
Who do we share PI with?
In general, a client's personal information will never be shared with any other party without the client's consent. As part of our servicing model we may need to share personal information with certification bodies and our partnered service providers.
Centre for Agile Coaching runs a few workshops in association with two international companies:-
- Adventures with Agile based in the United Kingdom
- TeamCatapult based in the United States of America
From a servicing perspective it may be necessary to share PI with these companies - data sharing is limited to First Name, Surname and Email address.
Centre for Agile Coaching is a Member Training Organisation with the International Consortium for Agile (ICAgile). On completion of a certified class, eligible attendees are registered on the ICAgile database for certification - data is limited to First Name, Surname and Email address.
General communication and servicing - Centre for Agile Coaching uses MailChimp for the distribution of regular mailers. Subscription is obtained via opt-in on our contact forms. Clients may cancel their subscription at any time. Opt-out from a mailer will unsubscribe the client from receiving further marketing related emails. Service related communication regarding classes, workshops or coaching will not be impacted by such opt-out. Should a client wish to be removed from all correspondence, they are requested to contact [email protected].
PostNet - Centre for Agile Coaching uses PostNet's courier service to send hardcopies of training material to clients. We mainly send package PostNet to PostNet, which requires us to share clients' FirstName, Surname and a contact number. Should a client request street delivery, the additional PI of their street address is obtained and shared with PostNet.
Quickbooks - accounting related information used for invoicing: First Name, Surname, Email address, Contact Number, Company or personal address, VAT number, Company Registration Number.
WIKI - internal record keeping First Name, Surname, Email address, Contact Number, Address (optional)
Clients may opt-out of data sharing, but this may impact the ability to provide sufficient service.
Where do we store PI and for how long?
All data obtained from clients are stored on Centre for Agile's company instance of Google Workspace and. WIKI. Access to these environments are strictly managed. For servicing and reporting purposes data needs to be retained for at least five years.