The Gathering 2022
Thu Nov 24, 09:00 - Thu Nov 24, 18:00
Cape Town Convention Centre
Because every problem has a solution...
Daily Maverick’s flagship event is back! The Gathering returns in November 2022.
It is the leader in future-shaping conversations, with panels of experts from across politics, business and civil society who are all looking at what each of us can do to build the South Africa we all want and deserve.
Here's what you can expect:
- Energy – Beyond Eskom: How are we going to generate enough energy for the nation? What will it take to make the President’s energy plan happen? Join us for this panel where we will discuss renewable energy solutions and how Eskom can achieve its mandate to power the country.
- Economy and Business Environment: What new approaches are needed for our emerging economy? It’s time to think beyond the blinkered scope of profit and loss.
- Pandemic Preparation: South Africa needs to reflect on its Covid response and learn from it, so we can make specific recommendations to all sectors on how to be more resilient and able to respond to the next pandemic.
- Security Cluster – The Wolves: From police to politicians, complex crime is leading South Africa into lawlessness. Are we there already? And if not, how do we stop it?
- In the Public Interest: It is civil society who are stepping in to help build and equip hospitals and schools and break ground for running water. When the system is broken, new action is required. Hear from some of the most inspirational South African citizens who are on the frontline of public interest.
- Hope Springs: Trains, Eskom, water shortages… where can we find hope in the face of failing infrastructure? The government is not making the change. What can WE do as society? Join this session and we challenge you to walk away not feeling inspired.
- The Political Will for a Political System: Is a coalition government the answer to our political woes or will it lead to a dilution of responsibilities? Is Chief Justice Raymond Zondo’s recommendation to vote for a person not a party sufficient? What does it entail and do we have the political will to implement this system?
Keynote speakers (or firestarters, as we like to call them) and panellists include André de Ruyter, Mmusi Maimane, Bill Browder, Mcebisi Jonas, Zanele Mbatha, Geordin Hill-Lewis, Songezo Zibi, Dr Imtiaz Sooliman, Koleka Mlisana, Major-General Jeremy Vearey, Iraj Abedian, Precious Matsoso, Professor Glenda Gray, Anton du Plessis, Kasthuri Soni and Mark Swilling, to name a few.
Not able to join us in person? No problem! The Gathering 2022 will be available for virtual viewing and participation. All you need to do is register here and you will receive all virtual event pre-communication, information and links.
*If you're a Maverick Insider, please refer to your email to access the promo code you can use to get the 50% discount on your ticket!