Lamu Writing Retreat '22
The second Lamu Writing retreat will be held from 19-24 September ‘22 on the tiny, secret Lamu archipelago off Kenya’s East African coast. Daily writing sessions are facilitated by international writing coach, mentor and author Sarah Bullen. Workshops and one-on-one sessions on presenting yourself digitally are led by instagram content creator and influencer Seth Shezi. Alongside the writing programme is a lineup of mangrove channel swims, morning yoga, guided walks through ancient cobbled streets, visits to some of Lamu’s famous villas, and evenings spent sailing on dhows to neighbouring islands, or visiting secret bars floating in the ocean or tucked in the dunes. Everything is optional; everything is meticulously produced; everyone’s rhythm is respected! Transformative experience guaranteed.
Please note that accommodation is not included in the retreat price. Shela Village is famous for its many different accommodation options, and where you choose to stay depends on how you like to retreat. We have reserved rooms at the legendary Peponi Hotel, where the retreat will take place, and at Banana House, a 5-min walk from Peponi, ideal for those who don’t want to spend as much, but who want the charm of a boutique hotel in a lush tropical garden with a swimming pool. Both have wonderful organic food. Alternatively, if you’re travelling with friends you may want to rent one of Lamu’s magnificent villas.
The Booking Process:
- Book your retreat ticket here. If you you book prior to 1 June ‘22, you can choose to pay a 10,000ZAR deposit, with the balance of 12,500ZAR due on 1 July ‘22. For bookings after 1 June, full payment is required.
- Book your accommodation. We have 10 rooms reserved at Peponi Hotel and 10 rooms at Banana House, both at a discounted rate. Accommodation is allocated on a first come first serve basis. Click here to view our updated sheet showing the different rooms, availability, and booking contact details for Peponi and Banana House, as well as details for Lamu’s villa rental agents.
The cost includes:
- A structured writing journey for your full retreat, with:
- One daily group session on a different aspect of writing and/or storytelling, led by international writing coach, author and mentor Sarah Bullen.
- One individual session with Sarah, to assist with any aspect of writing your story, from structure, to tools, to inspiration, or publishing advice.
- One individual session with digital content creator and influencer Seth Shezi (@seth_shezi) who will help you develop your personal brand and show you how put a beautiful spin on your trip, no matter your technical level.
- An individual Lamu shoot with creative director Bielle Bellingham (@biellebellingham) and her photographer if you’d like one.
- All breakfasts, one group lunch, and all dinners. We gather together before sunset each evening in the perfect warmth on dhows or secret beaches, in palm gardens or wonderful villas. Storytelling, writing feedback, moonlit dancefloors in the dunes…
- Access to the full programme of optional daytime Lamu experiences. Note that some of these will carry a minimal extra charge.
- Alcohol, lunches (other than one group lunch) and room service.
For more detail on the Lamu Writing Retreat, including how to apply for a sponsored residency, please visit www.littlegig.co.za
Want to speak to us directly?
Contact Georgia Black for trip enquiries:
[email protected] / +27 (0)82 389-5151
Contact Sarah Bullen for Writing enquiries:
[email protected] / +27 (0)82 373-6129
Check us out on Instagram
We will refund you 75% of your ticket price if you cancel before 1 August (6 weeks before the event) and 50% if you cancel up until 5 days before the event. Unfortunately no refunds in the 5 days before the event. If there is a COVID-related lockdown in Kenya which makes travel to Lamu impossible over the time of the retreat, you will get a full refund, minus a 5% administration fee.
Please note that accommodation refund policies vary depending on where you’re staying, and it is up to you to deal directly with your hotel / villa in that regard.
|Age restriction||No under 21s|
|Refund policy||View policy|