Greenpop Reforest Fest: FAMILY weekend
A celebration of planting and play.
Are you ready forest munchkins? It’s PLATBOS time! Join us for a weekend away with the whole family and help re-plant the ancient, indigenous Platbos Forest, learn all about holistic green living, and have a TREE-mendously fun time with the young’uns!
Together we’ll plant thousands of trees, camp under the stars and Milkwoods, play and learn at all sorts of fun workshops and enjoy great family entertainment.
Ready to get your hands dirty for a good cause?
10 Reasons the Family Fest is a magical weekend away:
1. You’ll help plant 1000s of trees - what a great reason to dig in and get dirty!
2. Make new friends and (re)connect
3. Learn and play with a great lineup of family activities (you don't need to plan a thing!)
4. It’s an easy 2.5 hour drive from Cape Town
5. You can sleep under the stars: pitch your tent (or rent one from us)
6. You can hang up your apron if you opt for the weekend meal-plan
7. Beautiful eco-ablution facilities provided
8. There’s a 1000-year-old milkwood you can visit
9. There’s nothing like a talent show under a star-lit sky
10. Unplug for some quality family time
All tickets include:
- A place to pitch your tent
- Tree planting
- Fun and educational activities
- Live entertainment (music and plays)
- Yoga classes
- Forest walks
- And so much more!
Please note: Ticket price does NOT include meals. We will provide some snacks during the planting and there will be a selection of food trucks and vendors on site preparing fresh, delicious meals for purchase, with a large selection of vegan- and vegetarian-friendly options, as well as kid-friendly options. The Family weekend also offers the option of adding a fully-catered meal-plan ticket. This is an additional ticket to the general festival ticket that you must purchase in addition.
Do you want to have all meals included? Add a Meal-plan ticket and 6 delicious vegetarian meals will be pre-ordered and catered for you - Friday dinner to Sunday lunch.
If camping is not for you, you are welcome to book your family into one of the beautiful guest houses in the area and join us each morning.
PS. If you are up for a bit more of a party, maybe you'd like to join for the Friends weekend (it's still family friendly but we’ll stay up a bit later ;)) on 18-20 March 2016.
Watch this vid from last year's Fest:
Arrive Friday evening for a chilled night in the ancient indigenous forest where some of the trees are 1000 years old. Enjoy a delicious meal and meet new friends.
Saturday is a day of tree-planting and getting your hands dirty, helping to restore an ecosystem that is one of the most rare and endangered in the Western Cape. As the sun sets on a hard day’s work, l enjoy a magical forest party! Greenpop provides an awesome musical line-up at the intimate main stage, with some of South Africa's coolest bands (at both fests). Line up to be announced soon! Usually Greenpop plants 3000 trees at the Family Weekend and 7000 at the Friends weekend.
Sunday is filled with fun, educational, active and relaxing talks, walks, workshops and more including:
- Forest walks
- Hula Hooping
- Interactive music sessions and instrument making
- Arts and crafts
- Talks by various personalities in conservation and sustainable living
- Talent shows
- Treasure hunts
- And some surprises
Platbos forest is an easy 2.5 hour drive from Cape Town. If you are travelling in a car, please try to carpool if you can. Our partners Find a Lift have a great carpooling site where you can find travel buddies and rides if you need.
Remember you might be arriving in the dark on Friday evening, so be sure to read these directions carefully and have them on hand.
- From Cape Town, take the N2 highway towards Hermanus.
- Take the Hermanus turn off and go directly into Hermanus town. Drive through Hermanus town towards Stanford on the R43.
- On the R43 road from Stanford to Gansbaai, look out for the Grootbos turnoff on your left hand side, approximately 12km after passing Stanford town. (If you get to Gansbaai you have gone too far)
- Turn left at the Grootbos turn off and travel for just over 6km along this tar, and then gravel, road (do not turn into the actual Grootbos Estate).
- Just before the 6km mark, you will see a turnoff over a cattle grid on your right hand side, and a wooden sign, ‘Platbos Forest’. This entrance to the forest is CLOSED for Festival goers. Please do not turn up this road as you cannot gain access to the Fest from here.
- Continue along the road you are on, following the Greenpop sign boards and flags. Turn right onto the entrance road (marked with Greenpop sign boards) immediately after you have passed the Platbos entrance.
- Follow the sign boards until you come to the Festival Entrance.
This year meals are not included in your festival ticket and no self-catering facilities are available! As with previous Reforest Fests please bring your own cutlery and crockery (knife, fork, spoon, bowl, plate, cup, dishcloth). These will not be provided by any of the stalls or Greenpop. As the festival goer you will have the following options for meals at the festival:
1. Buy a Meal-Plan ticket before 6 March 2016
- If you have any serious allergies, please notify Talitha ([email protected]) before Friday 4 March 2016.
- Meal plan tickets need to be purchased before 6 March 2016 via Quicket. Upon arrival on site the welcome team will give you a stamp/wrist band. Show this to the forest kitchen and dish up!
- It will be catered for and served buffet style, so there should always be something you will like. We have made this an option as many parents have young kids and this would make it easier than buying from food vendors.
- With a Meal-plan ticket you will get six vegetarian and vegan friendly meals (Fri-dinner, Sat-breakfast, lunch & dinner and Sun-breakfast & lunch).
- Payment method: Cash is king or Snapscan (no ATM or card facilities on site)
- Meal prices between R25/R40 Breakfast, R40/50 Lunch, R50/R80 Dinner
- There will be a food truck with a lovely eating area. selling tasty vegetarian (and vegan friendly) breakfast, lunch and dinner options at our usual breakfast, lunch and dinner times.
- Please wash your cutlery and plates at the washing stations that will be set up.
- Making your own fires (either braai or stove) is not allowed for fire safety reasons.
- We provide some small snacks as well during the planting day, but do bring extra snacks to share around the campfire or on the planting field. Please avoid over-packaged snacks - bring big bags and share :)
- Please note that there will be no self catering facilities at this festival and the nearest shop is quite a drive away. We have made sure that the food available is of the tastiest and best quality and served with a smile. If you’d like to bring your own food, it will need to be mostly raw as we can’t allow individual open flames in the forest(NB). If you bring a cooler with yummy raw foods and equipment to prepare it, that will be fine. We will also provide boiling water at all times.
Bring your own tent and camp in our general campsite. Please follow instructions of the welcoming team and parking guards. No dogs are allowed in the forest :(
Kids Only campsite
We noticed some of the (older) kids would love to have their own campsite, so we have created a cordoned off little campsite for ‘Kids Only’ with good lighting for kids older than 10 years.
We have a few tents for renting at ZAR 300 per tent for the weekend (comes with 2 mattresses and will be set upon your arrival). You can book a tent via Quicket.
Camper van area
- Allowed in this area: camper vans, caravans (including tow vehicle), motor homes, trailer tents (including tow vehicle), roof top tents (including vehicle – must be permanent or semi permanent fixtures to the vehicle).
- NOTE:The above MUST be able to comfortably fit into the 7 x 5m area allocated. Greenpop reserves the right to exclude any of the above if it does not meet the required and generally accepted standards of what defines each of the above mentioned.
- NOT ALLOWED IN THE CAMPERVAN AREA:
- Cars (including with mattresses)
- Bakkies (including with mattresses)
- Combis (including with mattresses and/or tents placed on the roof)
- Trucks (including with mattresses and/or tents placed on the roof of flatbed.)
If you don't want to camp (although we highly recommend camping - the ancient forest is so beautiful), we recommend the following places:
- Platbos (Bush Buck Suite, Honey Bee Suite, Old Olive Cabin): http://ww.platbos.co.za
- Uylenvlei Retreat: http://www.uylenvlei-retreat.co.za/ ? http://farm215.co.za/
- Grootbos: http://www.grootbos.com/
- Bodhi Khaya: http://www.bodhi-khaya.co.za/#!accommodation/cejz
- Witkrans: http://www.witkrans.com/accommodation.php
- Farm 215: http://farm215.co.za/
- Fountainbush Cottage: http://www.gansbaai.com/fountainbush-cottage/
- De Uijlenes: http://www.deuijlenes.co.za/
|Refund policy||Refunds allowed (view policy)|