Nosh 'Odd Box' Picnic at Victoria Yards
On Sunday, 21 March, NOSH Food Rescue NPC is presenting its first “Odd Box Picnic” event at the acclaimed Victoria Yards development in Lorentzville, Johannesburg. Victoria Yards is the home of the Makers Valley Partnership’s Food Hub, which has been a NOSH beneficiary since early 2020. The hub co-ordinates 6 local Community Kitchens, all of which receive rescued produce from NOSH to incorporate in the cooked meals they serve to the food-insecure in the Valley.
A team of local chefs and foodies under the watchful eye of Chef Gerhard Koekemoer of Food Ink will be preparing the scrumptious contents of the Odd Boxes using only salvaged produce - which would otherwise be consigned to landfill - to showcase what can be done with such food with a little TLC. Food vendors based at Victoria Yards, such as SOBAE Artisanal Sorbets and Foakes Coffee Bar & Roastery will also be creating an item for the Odd Box using rescued produce provided by NOSH.
Odd Boxes can also be collected for off-site consumption, or can be bought on a pay-it-forward basis, to be donated to the MVP Food Hub.
- The Makers Valley-based Carnival Collective will be providing Mardi Gras-style entertainment, also featuring the African Beauty youth.
- There will be prizes and lucky draws as well as music to entertain picnic-goers who choose to enjoy their Odd Box on the lawn.
- The Shkaftin Zero Waste Bus will be on site to introduce you to their awesome mobile zero-waste shopping concept. If you are already familiar with zero-waste grocery shopping, bring your containers and come fill up.
- Nosh will be presenting a range of pickles, preserves and ferments created by various collaborating chefs such as Che Gourmet, Toads' Hall Cottage Industries, Food Ink, Uncle O's and more.
- UpCycle will have a stall selling various picnic accessories diverted from the promotional gift waste stream.
- Leslia Moyo, a local seamstress will have picnic blankets for sale.
- Most permanent Victoria Yards shops and studios will be open for trade.
- The MVP Food Hub will have a spot where you can drop off any donations of non-perishables for their Swap Shop project
For further details and ongoing additions to the event, please follow NOSH on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!
|Refund policy||No refunds|