Miles 4 Masks
Miles 4 Masks is a virtual fundraising event to support the work of Nourish, who are dedicated to providing community support in one of the most poverty-stricken areas of Mpumulanga. During the COVID-19 crisis, it is essential that we look out for the most vulnerable members of our communities.
Miles 4 Masks aims at raising R100,000 for face masks. That is over 2500 face masks for vulnerable community members, children, the elderly and essential workers, patients, and carers in the local clinics and Tintswalo hospital in the Mpumulanga region of South Africa. In addition, this project will also provide an incredibly valuable source of income for four local women, who are sewing all these masks to support their families during these difficult times.
A virtual race is a race that can be completed in any location you choose. You can run, jog, walk or cycle on the road, around your house/garden, on a treadmill or a stationary bike, at your own pace and time. All you need is a pedometer or step counter to record your results, which can then be sent in to be record. You can enter Miles 4 Masks as a once or off, monthly, or as often as you like! All participants will receive a Miles 4 Masks Certificate and the participant who raises the highest total funds will win a Miles 4 Masks limited edition t-shirt!
How to Participate?
1. Sign up by booking your FREE ticket at https://qkt.io/miles4masks
2. Download your Miles 4 Masks Toolkit from www.scales.org.za/events
3. Pick your race. You can run, jog, walk or cycle on the road, around your house/garden, on a treadmill or a stationary bike, at your own pace and time. Where, when, and how is completely up to you. You can even split your distance up over a period of days if you wish!
4. Set your date.
5. Join our Facebook Group www.facebook.com/groups/Miles4Masks
6. Start fundraising! Check out how to create your own crowdfunding page below.
7. Share your event with your friends and family and ask them to make a donation or to sponsor you.
8. Ask your friends and family to share your fundraiser with their friends!
9. Share with us how you are preparing and when you are competing! #miles4masks @miles4masks
10. Print your Miles4Masks Bib for wearing on the day.
11. Record your miles with a pedometer or step counter.
12. Take a photo of the results and send us the image along with any proof of payment for your donation as well as a copy of your Miles 4 Masks ticket to [email protected] so that we can enter your race into the results table.
13. Don’t forget to share your Miles with us on Social Media!
If you have a friend for family member participating, consider making a donation to Miles for Masks to show your support. We will inform the participant you are supporting, by letting them know that you made a donation in support of their walk. Keep sharing! Pass the support along by sharing that you donated and asking others to support your friend or family as well.
Disclaimer: Please ensure that when taking part in Miles 4 Masks, you abide by all governmental and legal restrictions as well as social distancing.
Miles 4 Masks is brought to you by Scales Conservation Fund, in collaboration with Nourish and Hoedspruit Animal Outreach (HALO).